Thursday, August 05, 2010

Achilles Recovery - 2 weeks post op.


I went to the Ortho for my 2 week follow-up. They cut my splint off and the Physician's Assistant visually checked it out and said all was okay. The incision looks like it's healing pretty well, but I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the nasty scar. To my surprise, they didn’t do another Thompson test nor did they try to flex anything.

When the splint was removed, all the blood came rushing down and the parts of my foot that were splinted swelled up like the Goodyear blimp. Those parts of my foot also felt tingly as if they were asleep. There just wasn't much sensation due to the swelling (I think). I also didn’t get a chance to massage the foot as they were about to pull the stitches and PUT ME IN A CAST! (I was expecting a walking boot, because I'm really not feeling any pain. I thought I'd be ready for some partial weight bearing rehab, but that wasn't to be).

So my protocol is:
2 weeks in a splint, toes point slightly down. (completed post op)
2 weeks in a cast, same toe position (in progress)
2 weeks in a new cast, foot in neutral/perpendicular position. (which will stretch the tendon)
After that, walking boot and rehab.
And I’m to keep my foot elevated a lot more than I’m currently doing.

I think the cast is probably for the best for me, I’d be to aggressive with a boot (taking it off and stuff) and end up falling and pulling something unnecessarily.

On a crappy note - I can now see 1 month's worth of atrophy. My dominant right thigh is slightly thinner than my left. At least I can notice it. I'm going to be digging for some exercises.

Here's a picture of my current cast, I thought long and hard about hot pink, but people already stare way too much with the prosthetic Randy loaned me.

1 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Blogger Justin Monast said...

Nice cast!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home