Friday, November 25, 2011

What ever happened to...?

Okay an odd post, haven't touched google blogger (formerly blogspot) in about a year (or two) with facebook around. I digress... Every once in a while, I'll think of a former classmate anywhere before college. Out of pure curiosity and to see how far the internet has come as far as information gathering goes, I'll see what information I can track down. Why a person comes to my mind, I'm not quite sure... I'll have a random moment or situation where maybe someone made a comment, had some sort of positive influence, remembering a cool time or someone that said something that changed the way I think or behave today... even though we were just kids. The person that came to mind was Frank Mamone. I recall him being of smaller stature in elementary school, having some physical condition, part of the -in- crowd (I wasn't) but pretty studious. Then meeting up with him again in high school the one year that I went to public school. I was part of the *anti* crowd that year, but I'm a different person today and curious to see how the -in- crowd fared as adults. What I was able to find was a distant memory of some of who he was and what he became during his short life -

>>
Frank L. Mamone 1970-1994 was a life long student of the San Bernardino City Unified School District. He attended K-6th grade at Marshall Elementary. While at Arrowview Middle School he won the American Legion award for outstanding student and served as school president. He
graduated with honors from Cajon High School. While attending Cal State University San Bernardino he worked as an Instructional Aide at Newmark Elementary. He did his student teaching in a kindergarten class at North Verdemont Elementary. Upon his graduation from Cal State University, he was hired to teach fourth grade at North Verdemont Elementary.
Though Frank had cystic fibrosis, he pursued his dreams and lived his life fully. He was an inspiration to his family, students, and friends. Cystic fibrosis took his life during his first year of teaching but his students and co-workers said it best when they placed a stone bench with shade trees on the lawn outside of his classroom at North Verdemont Elementary with an inscription that reads, “He touched our lives, he touched our hearts.”

>>

RIP Frankie, someone thought of you today.

3 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny that I came across this blog. I was a student of his in 4th grade at North Verdemont and remember him being one of the coolest teachers I've ever had. He actually enjoyed teaching and was very down to earth, unlike any teacher I had ever had before that time. I never knew what happened to him and came across this blog, remembering rumors I heard about him being dead about a year after. Truly an inspirational human being. RIP and thanks again Mr. Mamone!

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I was in his class also. I remember him so well. After he passed, i believe we were taught by a lady named Mrs. Waters as i recall. My name is roseanne (tintle) candelaria. I recently moved a month ago and came across a memorial flyer i kept from his services. I also remember them building a bench in his memory at the school. Does anyone know if its still around?

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I was in his class also. I remember him so well. After he passed, i believe we were taught by a lady named Mrs. Waters as i recall. My name is roseanne (tintle) candelaria. I recently moved a month ago and came across a memorial flyer i kept from his services. I also remember them building a bench in his memory at the school. Does anyone know if its still around?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home