Sunday, January 25, 2015

Keeping your white gis clean and white

I train at an academy that only allows white gis, and as as aesthetics are important to a lot of folks, here are some things I picked up along the way on keeping your gi white and clean.


Never hang dry them on wire hangers or metal chairs, metal railings etc. These things rust and will leave rust stains that are near impossible to remove.

Deodorant will leave yellow arm pit stains in your gi. Wear a rash guard underneath OR use a deodorant that doesn't contain aluminum chlorohydrates, aluminum zirconium chlorohydrates, and aluminum chloride. or go Au natural and try no to offend.

Keep a spray bottle of peroxide handy. When I come home with a gi that's got blood all over it, I spray peroxide on it and scrub, a little shout doesn't hurt either. Then throw it in the washer to get everything out. Bleach is a very, very, very last resort.

Your neck will leave oils (and dirt) your collar, I always try and spray shout on the collar before washing, it seems to keep the neck around the collar from getting too dingy.

At our academy, they keep handy wipes next to the mat for people wipe their dirty feet and require shoes/sandals on around the academy. We have white mats and it's amazing how much dirt shows from dusty feet. What you track in on the mat WILL end up on your gi.

Don't let your gi fester after you roll. When it dries with crud on it, it tends to set in. I know it's tough but, I try to wash or at least pre-wash my gi when I get home.

Don't let your gi fester, bacteria will set in and even after wash, the stink will come out again when it gets wet. A few hour soak in vinegar/water (50/50) will help get rid of this if you smell funk on your gi.

Washing - I always cold wash and air dry my gis (unless I'm shrinking to fit). I have a front loader (no agitator) which is a bit gentler on the gi and prevents fraying. Hot washing will shrink your gi.

NEVER use bleach, you will turn your embroidery orange or brown and your patches will fade. Bleach will also weaken the fibers of your gi fabric. I use oxyclean as a detergent.

Hot air dryer can bacon (warp) your lapel (it's rubber foam inside), also the additional friction caused by tumble dry can wear out the fibers and lapel (look how much fabric ends up in your lint screen). Hot dryer will also shrink your gi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home