Sunday, August 27, 2006

Next Great Adventure

So here I am again, wondering what the heck I got myself into. Another adventure race, but this time, it's only 12 teams and it so happens that these are world class teams in this event battling it out for series points/championship in the Explore California series. How the heck did we get in this? Dunno, we registered and we were in. http://www.exploreca.com/

This is supposed to be a real demanding race and I know we will be in the bottom quarter. Our goal is just to finish and not get short-coursed. My guess is somewhere around 80 miles and the terrain is supposed to be long and tough. I've been riding routinely, but my running has a long ways to go with only two weeks left. I'll get some paddling in this week to loosen up the arms and some more running to stress my calves.

I got some ideas on how to make my body last 24 hours a bit better than the last 24 hour race a year ago. I'm going to use trekking poles and try to lighten up my pack a little bit. In addition, we're really going to try to shorten our transition times and always be on the move.

I owe my wife big time on this as it happens on her birthday, but she knows how much racing means to me. I'll make it up to her soon after.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home