Sunday, November 27, 2005

ZVG is mostly done!!!

Well a year plus, since I bought the ZVG, and have slowly acquired all the parts,getting the monitor working, I finally got this thing up and running. A quick pic is here

Quick Question on the VM_MENU: Anyone know how to get out of the mfg's menu once you've selected one? Example, Once I select Atari, I don't know how to get back out to select sega games...

My configuration:400 mhz Pentium 3, Soundblaster 16, 320 x 200 seems to work w/o flicker
Win 98 (startup in DOS mode) using the provided DOS/VMAME programs
Wells 6100 Gravitar Cabinet using a Gravitar control Panel - J-Pac interface

I will add a tempest spinner using the optic-pac later

Menu System is Ian Boffins Vector MAME.

Some things left to do:
I plan on using the Atari speakers so I'll be running an automobile audio amp from the sound card.
I plan on using a tempest spinner on the gravitar control panel. It seems to have enough space to the right side to add one.

To power both of the above, I'll be adding a switcher to provide the +12 for the audio amp and +5 for the trackball. Later, I'll figure out the lighted LED start buttons.

I don't plan on adding joysticks, trackball, or flight yoke (I already have
those dedicated atari games), my whole sole purpose in the ZVG was to add sega and cinematronics games whose cabs (and monitors) I don't care to own.

Anyone else run a VGA monitor concurrently (like on the side or on top of the cabinet, in case you somehow get stuck or exit out the the menu? I find it'seasy to inadvertently exit to the prompt when you hit p1/p2 to get out ofgames.

The goal would be to get this running "self contained" It would be nice not to have to rely on a keyboard and VGA monitor.

1 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lou,

Does that configuration run the games fast enough? Zonn tells me you need a much faster machine than that to use the ZVG.

I'm still waiting to obtain parts to build my B&W and color cabs using the ZVG. My goal is to buy an Asteroids machine with a missing or broken gameboard, and either a Space Duel, Gravitor or Black Widow machine also with a missing or broken gameboard.

I've been using my ZVG with a Vectrex monitor for now with my custom built MAME controller, and a 2 ghz Pentium 4 desktop (Nvidia TNT2 video card, Soundblaster live audio). Running DOS Mode Windows 98, i'm able to run the b&w games fine. My Vectrex screen is super sharp like a brand new monitor. The Cinematronics games look awesome on it, but it's tiny.

Many of the color games still run slow for some reason. I'd hope it's just a setting in software somewhere. It's possible if I hooked it up to my Tempest monitor, maybe the slow down would go away.

I have purchased some cool parts for the vector projects: Tail Gunner II joystick, Star Wars Yoke, Sega Spinner and a few others.

Just trying to find deals on the needed machines. I've got a Spy Hunter cockpit i'm hoping to trade if possible. If need I also have an Atari A.P.B & an Atari 3 player Super Sprint i'd consider trading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home