Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Old Camp, well almost...

prologue: Last night I took my 3 year old hiking up Santiago. When at the trail head there were a bunch of ambulances and firetrucks. By the time we got our gear ready and on the trail, the trucks were gone. Skip ahead about 3 miles about an hour later and a rider was coming down with another bike strapped to his back. "Where's the owner of that bike?" I asked. "Oh he was airlifted off in a helicopter and I'm on the way to meet him at the hospital".

Tonight's ride was supposed to be a loop around whiting, then santiago truck trail then down the luge for 13 miles. We ended up changing the trip on the fly and decided to go all the way up the truck trail to old camp. I am a really slow starter, I felt I was pacing back behind Maureen and Cisco tonight, but about 6 miles in, I started feeling stronger and led the rest of the way. It got dark at about 8p.m. switch on the Niterider HID's and we were good to go. We got up to the flat above old camp (1/2 a mile short) and decided to turn around for some good downhill. Back down the luge and the tally was 16.5 miles total. I already know Cisco is fast, but I'm afraid come 24 hours of Adrenalin next month Maureen's going to post faster times than me!!! Lightweight riders have such an advantage over us clydesdales. Anyways, I felt better about my conditioning tonight. Least of all no one got hurt, or ran into any mechanical problems.

We're meeting at the race course this weekend up in Idyllwild to get a few laps in with a bunch of other folks that ride in the group. camping should be a hoot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home